The process of renting an apartment in New York City can seem like an overwhelming endeavor. The Scholz Team will help you every step of the way to make it as easy as possible. We will continue working with you after you’ve actually signed your lease with everything from move in & cable hook up to recommending painters & cleaners. One of the biggest keys to renting an apartment is to be as prepared as possible. To that end below is a list of the most common required documents you will need to gather before you find “the one”.
- Letter of employment on company letterhead stating position, salary and length of employment*. For college students acceptance letter or enrollment proof.
- Last 2 years tax returns (usually just the first and signature page)
- Last 2 months’ bank statements
- Clear copy of photo ID
- Contact information for current landlord
- *For those applicants that are self employed and do not have a letter of employment, a CPA letter stating assets and income.
Other items that landlord and apartment owners will require are a credit/background check that usually runs from $65-$100. Income requirements are 40x the monthly rent for applicants and 80x the monthly rent for guarantors.